- News & Events
- Gift Shop
World War II
The PB4Y-2 Privateer was the Navy's modified version of the Consolidated B-24, designed as a low-altitude, long-range patrol bomber for anti-shipping, anti-submarine, ground-attack, reconnaissance and rescue missions.
The PB4Y-2 replaced the PB4Y-1, the Navy's essentially unchanged version of the B-24.
The Privateer's single vertical tail provided improved low-altitude stability. Its front fuselage is eight feet longer, to make room for a flight-engineer's station, and its Pratt and Whitney R-1830-94 engines lack the B-24's turbochargers, which were unneeded at low altitude.
Because the Privateer was often sent on long, unescorted missions, its armament was increased to 12 .50 caliber Browning machine guns in two top turrets, nose and tail turrets, and the distinctive, tear-drop-shaped, dual-gun ERCO waist turrets, which could be deflected down to converge 30 feet below the airplane. The B-24's lower ball turret was deleted.
Privateers were used throughout the Pacific Theater, including ground-attack missions supporting the invasion of Iwo Jima.
Acquired by Yanks in 2006, this ex Coast-Guard airplane was making a living as a fire-fighting water bomber until its retirement in 2002.