Gifts and collectibles for you and all the aviation fans on your gift list!

This is the best aviation museum I have ever been to. ...

George B

Great Museum hope to come again soon. Restoration hanger a lot of fun. ...

Aidan Simmons


Lockheed 12-A Electra Jr. (C-40D) (UC-40D)

This glistening, low wing, monoplane was the first twin engine built by Lockheed.  Also the first all metal airplane, the C-40 (model 12-A) was the fastest transport airplane in the world.  

It could out-climb and out-fly any other twin, it handled nicely, had power to spare and pilots liked to fly it.  

Night crossings and poor terrain were restricted to twin aircraft in 1934, this created a need for the new Electra.  Big and small businesses like the advantage of landing in many small town airports.  

Many options were offered including: autopilot, partitions, plush seats, couch, lavatory, desk and typewriter.  

The most famous 10E Electra was purchased by Purdue University, for Amelia Earhart.  She and the airplane vanished July 3, 1937 during her around the world flight.  

Service History

  • Delivered: Feb 22, 1939 - Kelley Field, TX
  • Mar 1938 - Barksdale Field, LA
  • July 1939 - Maxwell Field, AL
  • Oct 1939 - Selfridge Field, IL
  • March 1940 - Wright Field, OH
  • April 1940 - 27th Pursuit Sqd GHQ Air Force, Selfridge Field, IL
  • Sept 1941 - Mitchell 1st AAF, NY
  • Feb 1942 - Wrecked at Mitchell, tractor collided with parked A/C
  • Feb 1943 - Birmingham AAF, AL
  • March 1943 - Mobile, AL Air Depot
  • Oct 1944 - 343rd Base AAF (Brookley AAF, AL Key AAF - MS)
  • Jan 19, 1945 - Bush Field, Augusta, GA stricken and disposed
MFG: Lockheed

First Produced: 1936

Powerplant: (2) P/W R-985-1

Horsepower: 400 lbs each

Prop: Hamilton Std

Service Ceiling: 22,900 ft

Cruise: 213 mph

Top Speed: 230 mph

Range: 950 miles

 Empty Weight: 5,960 lbs

Gross Weight: 8,650 lbs

Wing Span: 49’6”

Wing Area: 352 sq. ft

Length: 36’4”

Height: 9’9”

Armament: None

Number Built: 130 total

10 UC-40As

This UC-40A was obtained by Yanks in 1998 and its restoration was completed in 2006.