- News & Events
- Gift Shop
World War II
With the situation in Europe deteriorating, US involvement in the war became inevitable. In 1940, large orders were placed for military aircraft.
In 1940 the debut flight of the CW-20, a thirty-six passenger airliner with a pressurized cabin showed great promise. The military version, the C-46, was developed with double cargo doors, a strengthened floor, loading winch and folding seats.
With a crew of four, plus fifty passengers and a military overload weight of 50,675 pounds, the C-46 was the largest and heaviest twin engine cargo transport of it’s day.
In 1943 the Japanese closed the Burma Road, necessitating an air bridge over the Himalayas, known as “The Hump.” The C-46 had twice the cabin volume and better high altitude performance than the C-47, so it was perfectly suited to the treacherous task.
This C-46 served with more than fifteen airlines after WWII.
Service History of 43-47218
Delivered: February 28, 1945
Feb 1945 - To Karachi, India ( 10th Air Force) via Nashville, TN and West Palm Beach, FL
April 10, 1946 - Transferred to IAF
1955 - Withdrawn from service with IAF
Served with the following airlines:
Miami A&E, 1956. Riddle 1959, Zantrop 1966, Rich 1973,
ASA Int., Aerovias SUD, Americina Inc., Ariel Trans,
Southwest Aviation, Florida Caribbean, Wylie Air Corp.
Stored in New Mexico during 1989
First Produced: 1942
Powerplant: (2) P&W R-2800-51
Horsepower: 2,000 lbs each
Service Ceiling: 27,600 ft
Cruise: 183 mph
Top Speed: 269 mph
Range: 1,200 miles
Empty Weight: 32,400 lbs
Gross Weight: 50,675 lbs
Wing Span: 108’1”
Wing Area: 1360 sq. ft
Number Built: 3,180 total